Tuesday 25 September 2012

Vintage

Vintage, vintage, vintage - this word jumps at me from everywhere, the internet and the blogosphere, the fashion magazines, it's all about vintage this or that. I am not even sure what it means any more, although here is what Wikipedia says:

'Vintage clothing is a generic term for new or second hand garments originating from a previous era'.

Hmm, still not sure. I guess the shirt I'm wearing today could loosely pass off as vintage as it was sewn by my grandmother back in the 80s for my mom. It's a part of a three-piece arrangement (a shirt, a coat and a skirt) all made from very fine silk and modeled on a then-current pattern.

For me, this clothing bears emotional value. The fact that my grandmother made it by her own two hands makes it priceless. She is 82 now and has long since stopped sewing - blame poor eyesight - but my mom keeps some of the things she crafted and I'm grateful for that.

I feel special wearing this shirt today. I especially love the colors and the pattern:

Not being all about fast fashion and designer brands, I like combining items like this shirt with what I would normally wear to work, like a skirt or pants. It makes me feel less generic.






The bracelet I'm wearing was a gift from mom a long time ago and it usually lingers on the bottom of my bracelet pile, but I took it out this morning thinking how it complements well the shirt. And by this simple act I feel in touch with the female power of my family - and that is a force to be reckoned with.

XOXO,

Mimi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away - I'd love to hear what you have to say . . .