Thursday 27 September 2012

On my reading list

Or rather the books I've read recently which have blown me away:

Nothing to be Frightened of, Julian Barnes

OMG, the best book ever! This book speaks to me on so many levels. It's main subject is fear of death and how it transforms through our ages of life and different outlooks on the world we assume as our experiences and knowledge grow. It also deals with the religious, philosophical and literary take on the  unavoidable grim reaper. It's hilariously funny at times and soberingly frightening at others, but it's a gripping read as it dissects one by one all our prejudice and misconceptions about death. It does not give definitive answers, it can leave you even more confused than when you started reading it, but at least it shows how deeply humane it is to be afraid of the unknown and how we are all entitled to come up with ways (religions, philosophies, rituals) to relieve that primeval fear.

Vernon God Little, DBC Pierre


I've had this one for a long time before I got around to reading it. This book will stun you with a sheer amount of incredible twists of fate that will occur throughout, yet it will offer some of the most honest insights into people, youth, sensitive teenagers, relations with parents, sexuality, prejudice and small-town mentality that can be so typical of America, yet can be so universally applicable through the world. It's a story of a serious crime committed and a community not willing to accept it, eager to point fingers and apportion blame without recognizing the root cause of this unfortunate event. Vernon is the unlikely anti-hero of the book who gets the girl in the end! No more spoilers, go read the book.

I'm a voracious reader, but I had a break in this life habit/need for the past few years when I had to deal with things both happy and sad in my life - the birth of my daughter and the loss of my father. Since a few months ago, I feel my brain is fully regenerated and capable of devouring books once again!

Mimi
XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fire away - I'd love to hear what you have to say . . .